Last night I was lucky enough to attend the Costa Book Awards party with my lovely agent, Eve White. For those of you who dream of being a writer I’d like to say KEEP TRYING, because it really is an awful lot of fun. It was a great party in many ways (free champagne, etc) but here’s my list of the best bits.
- The millionaire’s shortbread (inch thick caramel)
- Nathan Filer snogging his wife’s face off when he won.
- Meeting the authors and judges (esp Ross Montgomery and Philip Womack).
- The reading from poetry winner, Michael Symmons Roberts’ book, ‘Drysalter’.
- Ian Hislop chortling avuncularly (is that a word?) when I interrupted his conversation to introduce myself (okay okay, it was after glass number 4).
- The goody bag containing Kate Atkinson’s ‘Life After Life’.
- The obliging Quaglinos staff chopping the huge display board in half so I could take it home on the bus.
- Jerry Hall twerking.*
- The canapés that looked exactly like spoonfuls of yellow vomit.
- Nathan Filer only being 32.
*Untrue. She was there but she maintained her dignity throughout.